Monday, February 16, 2009

FingersCrossed/<100 Days edition

I have an accelerated heart rate right now due to some rapid fire wedding-related purchases, so bear with me. As of an hour ago...
  • There is another flower girl dress. Since the last one crashed and burned in all its inappropriately glittery glory, I have shied away from all fabrics that have even a hint of sheen and have stayed focused on my original all-cotton mandate. FINGERS CROSSED.

  • We have more fabric drama. I am beyond ready to get past the fabric decision. In fact, I spent last week happily focused on centerpieces and flowers, assuming the fabric was done. Nope - the design we loved (at right) had a printing error and wasn't made with a true white in the background for this batch, and we don't have time to wait for the next batch. So we're trying again with a 6-yard rush order of something else, and a slight change in plan. FINGERS CROSSED.
(I'm trying not to jinx myself by posting the new stuff online, so stay tuned.)

In other planning news, we are under 100 days now, eeeeeek. Just one more reason why the two bullet points above really, really need to be resolved. In other matters:

  • The F-Word is taking his grandfather's seersucker suit to a tailor today so that we can finally determine whether or not it will work. There are a few reasons that weren't initially obvious to us why the vintage suit might have to serve as the inspiration rather than his actual wedding suit. But never fear! First, there are lots of seersucker suits available online and in stores. Second, we had a delightful meeting with a custom suitmaker this weekend, and having a custom seersucker suit made is much more affordable than we thought. The custom route intrigues us because (A) Most off-the-rack seersuckers don't have a very modern fit - and our groomsmen suits definitely do. Girls, I'm sure we're all in agreement about flat front pants, yes? (B) They sew your name into the suit or, in this case, your wedding date. Just like someone's wedding dress label. Hmmm... (C) They'll line the suit in whatever you want, including fun patterns like polka dots. Just sayin'....

  • I'm having some angst about wedding dress alterations. Thankfully, I don't need very much done to the dress, but that's also why paying a set (outlandish) price for alterations gives me the hives. I'm searching for an alternative that is cheaper and doesn't involve leaving my dress with someone who makes me wonder if she'll sell it on eBay as soon as I'm back in my car. Also, I wonder if it's silly to worry about alteration costs this late in the game. But then I add up said costs in my head and get the hives again. Thoughts?

  • Our invitations are so close to being done we're talking Pantone colors. Whoopee!!!!
97 days to go. That's all I've got right now.

6 comments:

Kate said...

You think he'd let you line the suit in gingham? I love seersucker and gingham! I love the idea of a custom suit for the wedding. Guys always get the short end of the wedding fashion stick. My husband wore a custom Armani on our wedding day...and we eloped! Everybody deserves to wear something new and special.

I'm sorry to hear about your fabric headache. Fabric is hard to deal with. I'm on my own hunt right now, but it's for a chair and I don't have the deadline that you have.

Also, as far as alterations goes, you need to weigh piece of mind vs. cost. You don't have time to fix something if your budget person messes it up. That's not saying that the expensive option will be perfect or that the cheaper person will mess it up, but it does seem to happen that way a lot. Whatever you decide, good luck and remember to breathe...

Anonymous said...

I had my dress altered at an actual bridal store (not the one I bought it from) - that way they knew how to handle bridal gowns and you could trust them more than a regular tailor. Plus they priced it by item. The bustle cost X, the hem cost X. So if you don't need a lot done, it shouldn't cost a lot either.

Maggie said...

ammmanners: I hear you on the peace of mind with the salon. Unfortunately, mine prices alterations differently - it's a set price no matter how many or few alterations you need. And since I don't need many, well... you can see why I'm bugged.

kate: Good luck with furniture fabric! I always enjoyed picking out fabric for reupholstery.

Abbie said...

Where did you find your groomsmen's suits with flat fronts? We're having the hardest time finding reasonably priced flat front khaki suits for ours. It's driving me bonkers.

Maggie said...

Abbie - check out this post for the exact suit we bought. It's a Banana Republic suit that's pretty comparable in price to the JCrew chino suit, but a better color for what we need. The key is to buy them when there's a deal going on - we saved a ton of money by getting them during a men's business wear sale that lasted only a week. J Crew has similar specials all the time - very hit or miss, but if you're a good retail stalker you can strike while the iron's hot. ;-)

I've also seen similar styles starting at lower prices at Haspel and Jos A Banks.

Kate said...

I saw this in the catalog this morning and thought of you...http://www.papodanjo.com/s.nl/it.A/id.105809/.f?sc=77&category=176093

There are so many cute dresses on there...very red, white and blue! :)