A funny thing happened in the ceremony planning process, though.
As we began to think about what comprises a ceremony, the same lines that we'd once rolled at our eyes at - you know, "to have and to hold," "through sickness and in health," etc. - suddenly seemed to glow with significance. To our absolute shock, we found ourselves suddenly humbled and touched by the notion of repeating lines that millions of couples have repeated before us. So we did just that, but injected our own flavor, too.
Gene: "Maggie and Trevor liked the symbolism of repeating words that so many couples have uttered before them, but they wanted to do so with a twist. Therefore, we’ll hear the traditional marriage vows followed by ones that Maggie and Trevor have written FOR the other person. That’s right: Maggie wrote Trevor’s vows, and Trevor wrote Maggie’s vows."
And so we repeated:
"I, Trevor, choose you Maggie, to be my wife... To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, and in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish always."
"Trevor, do you take Maggie to be your wife, and vow to love, honor, and laugh with her as long as you both shall live?”
Trevor: "I do"
And now my turn....
"I, Maggie, choose you Trevor, to be my husband... To have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, and in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish always."
"Maggie, do you take Trevor to be your husband, and vow to love, honor, and laugh with him as long as you both shall live?”
Maggie: "I do"
"Trevor, Maggie has asked you to make the following vows:
- To love and support her through the highs and lows of coffee addiction
- To provide her with a never-ending supply of strong National Public Radio reception
- That there will always be time for beach trips
- To never let her get bored, just like you promised the night you met
- To try to see yourself the way that she sees you
"Maggie, Trevor has asked you to make the following vows:
- To love and support him through the highs and lows of sports fan addiction
- To provide him with a never-ending supply of laughter and smiles
- That there will always be time for live music
- To continue to be full of surprises, just like the night you met
- To try to see yourself the way that he sees you
...and then it was time to exchange rings!