Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Not My Dress: Vera Wang


The Vera Wang Luxe Audrey is not my dress, but she haunted me during dress-shopping. The photos simply do not do this dress justice - she's absolutely stunning, a true work of art. I could barely touch her, she was so perfect, and I didn't dare try her on. The dress wouldn't have suited me or our wedding - and its price tag was certainly a caution flag - but none of that mattered when I looked at her. Audrey somehow represented all the things I was not in that store, but not in a scary please-stare-at-me-satin-ball-gown-with-crystal-and-silver-embellishment Kenneth Pool way. Nope, the Audrey is my kind of girl, only infinitely more put-together and perfect. In all those intricate folds of lace around her skirt, she swishes around with the kind of quiet confidence I admire, and the serenity to be all girl on that most girly of days. The Audrey is me times ten, and as I sit here typing in cords and a comfy J. Crew cardigan, I can say confidently that she is Not My Dress. But oh, what a dress she is.

5 comments:

S@sha said...

"Nope, the Audrey is my kind of girl, only infinitely more put-together and perfect."

So here is a style challenge for a Tuesday morning... what would you be sitting there wearing if you were more put-together and perfect? Would you have your cords tucked into expensive leather boots and be wearing a silk blouse under that cardigan??? Or would it be more about accessories or hair?

Anonymous said...

If I was more "Audrey," every workday I'd wear the look I only manage to pull off half the week when I'm in my groove: pencil skirt/dress pants/or work dress, great heels, coordinated jewelry, truly styled hair, etc. That's more of a once a week look the last couple of months, though. Days like this one, it's all about wake up and go for me. But if I had client meetings every day, or I were even an ounce more of a morning person, I think that I could pull off Audrey on a daily basis, or at least more often. Even though that would mean the end of these in the workplace. (Which are supremely comfortable, by the way, and were only $10 at Target, for any other recessionistas out there.)

S@sha said...

and the end of the pants in that photo too, as I don't think Audrey would wear khakis except when actually on safari! I also think it would require blazers on a regular basis.

I find that the more put together I look for work, the less I wanted to be there. Its a morning procrastination technique for me.

Anonymous said...

What a breathtaking gown! I had gowns that haunted me while I was shopping too---mostly they were all by Monique Luhllier---and as much as I loved them, all that tulle and lace just didn't feel like me. But oh what a life I would lead if those gowns WERE me!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.