Wednesday, September 24, 2008

What It's All About

I was going to rant about yet another run-in with an anti-curve wedding industry person - and the ridiculousness of wearing a size 6 skirt while ordering a size 12 wedding dress - but then I read this, and suddenly I didn't feel like bitching any more.

Joy found out she had breast cancer, and decided with her fiancee to fast-track her wedding before her surgery. In two weeks, they found a venue, a photographer, a dress, and pulled the whole thing off with a cherry blossom theme in Washington, D.C. In each case, vendors broke their own rules to make this wedding happen for a couple who simply wanted to celebrate before they faced her health questions. Thankfully, her surgery went well and she's doing fine now. But looking at their photos, I feel terrible complaining about anything, because so often I really think I must be the luckiest person in the world.

I feel the same way when I look at photos of same-sex weddings, coming fast and furious from California. Most of all, I'm struck with the sheer emotion that comes across in their photos, their blatant awe of being inside a moment they were never sure they'd be allowed to have. These are truly celebrations of love, which is what every wedding should be. For me - healthy, allowed to marry as many times as I choose, for whatever reason at all - these weddings of triumph are the ones that set the standard.


Sources: Joy and James. Kim and Annie. Bryan and Robbie.

No comments: